Thursday, October 1, 2009

On Not Running

Been just over 3 weeks since I've been sidelined with a sore Achilles tendon. I do miss running, but this is where Heavyhands shines. I've been getting terrific workouts at the same or greater intensity--without running, walking fast, or walking at all!

Walking is only slightly uncomfortable, so my first gambit is pump n' walk in place. Use 1 pound to warm up with, pumping to level 2 and eventually 3 (shoulder and head height). Then I'll do double ski poling, shadow boxing or figure 8's in cycles, gradually increasing the weight. I really don't follow any rigid sequence of exercises or weight. My heart rate monitor (or perceived exertion) lets me know if I'm working hard enough, so I juggle exercises, weight and pump frequency on the fly. After about 15 minutes of moderate effort (about 70-75% max HR), I spend the rest of the workout at 80-90% of max HR. I've even gotten up to 75% just using arms alone. Very tough. Wouldn't want to make a habit of it, unless I couldn't walk at all.

Don't know when I'll be able to run again, but in the meantime I'm getting all the intense exercise I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment